A Park Use Permit Application is required for any requests to reserve a specific park area and/or organize an event that is open to the general public.  Events open to the general public require liability insurance that meet the mandatory guidelines contained in the application.

This permit is for any group event in a city park, such as fundraisers, youth sports leagues, band concerts, fun runs, and special group events. A $150 permit fee is charged on a per park basis for general permits and is non-refundable. Permits for athletic usage are per field/season and rates vary according to usage.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted or processed and will be returned to the event organizer to complete.  Please make sure to fill out ALL areas on the permit.

Groups/organizations can pick up a permit application at the Parks and Recreation Department, 360 North 23rd Street. Office hours are Mon – Fri, 8 am – 5 pm, excluding holidays or download one above.

Please make sure that you have the completed permit application, proof of insurance if open to the general public, and the appropriate fee(s) when submitting applications to our office. Permit must be submitted in person. Applications must be received at least 14 days prior to event start date.

Alcohol Permits

Alcohol permits must be obtained from the Office at 360 N 23rd Street, Billings, MT. 59101, during business hours M-F 8am-5pm.  The cost for an alcohol permit is $ 75.00 non-refundable and non-transferable. Alcohol Permits are NOT permitted at Coulson Park, Swords Park and Riverfront Park. 

Regulations Governing Issuance and Conditions of Permit:

  • Permits available only to organizations/groups for a specific function – no individual permitting.
  • Only beer and wine permitted; No glass containers allowed.
  • Alcohol may only be served, displayed and consumed in shelter or specified area.
  • Only member of the organization or group and their invitees may be served. Permittee may not serve anyone under the age of 21 or visibly intoxicated.
  • No permits valid before 10 am of after 10 pm – Permit must be posted conspicuously during event.
  • Alcohol may only be served, displayed and consumed in a park shelter or a designated area within 30 yards of where it is served.

Special Activity Permit

Parades, Run/Walk Procession, Street/Alley Closure

As of  3/1/2008 these permits are being issued by the Public Works Dept. at 2224 Montana Avenue.

Applications should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the proposed event.

Click here to find the application.

Note: The City Council also authorized noise waivers for special circumstances where an event would fall outside of the exempt time period, such as construction activities before 7:00 a.m., or an outdoor concert in a park that went later than 8:00 p.m. at night. The noise waiver permit application form can be downloaded and printed off HERE.  Any citizen noise complaint should be reported to the Billings Police at 657-8200.