A Park Use Permit Application is required for any requests to reserve a specific park area and/or organize an event that is open to the general public. Events open to the general public require liability insurance that meet the mandatory guidelines contained in the application.
This permit is for any group event in a city park, such as fundraisers, youth sports leagues, band concerts, fun runs, and special group events. A $150 permit fee is charged on a per park basis for general permits and is non-refundable. Permits for athletic usage are per field/season and rates vary according to usage. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or processed and will be returned to the event organizer to complete. Please make sure to fill out ALL areas on the permit and be very detailed in the area of the park and what the event is. If this is not filled out, we will return the permit application to you.
Groups/organizations can pick up a permit application at the Parks and Recreation Department, located at the Billings Community Center, 390 North 23rd Street. Office hours are Mon – Fri, 8 am – 5 pm, excluding holidays or download one above.
Please make sure that you have the completed permit application, proof of insurance if open to the general public, and the appropriate fee(s) when submitting applications to our office. Applications must be received at least 14 days prior to event start date. Please allow sufficient time to process your requests and issue the permit. Groups who have been issued use permits should keep a copy of the permit with them while using city facilities to help avoid any space conflicts in city parks.
Parks and Recreation Department office, located at 390 N. 23rd Street. You must come by in person to obtain the permit. The cost is $75 and are non-refundable once purchased.. Permits cannot be issued for Riverfront Park, Coulson Park and Swords Park.
Regulations Governing Issuance and Conditions of Permit:
- Permits available only to organizations/groups for a specific function – no individual permitting.
- Only beer and wine permitted; No glass containers allowed.
- Alcohol may only be served, displayed and consumed in shelter or specified area.
- Only member of the organization or group and their invitees may be served. Permittee may not serve anyone under the age of 21 or visibly intoxicated.
- No permits valid before 10 am of after 10 pm – Permit must be posted conspicuously during event.
- Alcohol may only be served, displayed and consumed in a park shelter or a designated area within 30 yards of where it is served.
- Alcohol Permits are NOT permitted at Coulson Park, Swords Park and Riverfront Park.
Alcohol permits must be obtained from the Office at 390 N 23rd Street, Billings, MT. 59101, during business hours M-F 8am-5pm. The cost for an alcohol permit is $ 75.00 non-refundable and non-transferable. Alcohol Permits are NOT permitted at Coulson Park, Swords Park and Riverfront Park.
Special Activity Permit
Parades, Run/Walk Procession, Street/Alley Closure
As of 3/1/2008 these permits are being issued by the Public Works Dept. at 2224 Montana Avenue.
The following items are required to be complete when submitting a Special Activity Permit application. Applications should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the proposed event.
- Cover letter
- Completed Special Activity Permit Application
- A certificate of insurance from your insurance provider which must show the “City of Billings” as an additional insured (not merely a Certificate Holder) and minimum liability coverage of $750,000 per individual claim and $1,500,000 per occurrence.
- A map outlining the event route or location and showing where barricades will be placed for street closure(s).
- Applications can be picked up at the Public Works Department.
Noise Waiver Permits
A noise waiver permit is required for any amplified music or loud noise in any city park before 7:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m. In May of 2013, the City Council amended multiple provisions of the Billings Municipal Code concerning noise. The entire text of Ordinance 13-5603 can be accessed HERE. This ordinance modified acceptable noise level (decibel) limits in different zoning areas, and set specific daytime (7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.) and nighttime (8:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.) noise level limits. As a general rule, any lawn or grounds maintenance activities, and construction or building activities are exempt between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., and are not subject to any noise level limits.
The City Council also authorized noise waivers for special circumstances where an event would fall outside of the exempt time period, such as construction activities before 7:00 a.m., or an outdoor concert in a park that went later than 8:00 p.m. at night. The Administrative Order containing noise waiver review criteria and policies can be accessed HERE. The noise waiver permit application form can be downloaded and printed off HERE. The cost of the noise waiver permit is included in a Park Use Permit fee for public events, however for events not requiring a Park Use Permit there is a fee of $25.00 for obtaining the waiver permit. Noise complaints are addressed by the Billings Police Department. Any citizen noise complaint should be reported to the Billings Police at 657-8200.