In 2014, The Billings Parks and Recreation Department, in conjunction with the Billings Metro VISTA Project opened Billings’s first city-owned community garden at Amend Park. The Department recognized the benefits of a community garden, including education, empowerment, food security, and so much more. The garden received a citation of merit award from the Montana Trails, Recreation and Parks Association for Agency Excellence in 2015.
About the Garden
- The garden is located on the northeast corner of Amend Park off of S Billings Blvd
- It is one acre in size, with various plot sizes available: 10′ X 10′ or 20′ X 20′ ground plots, 3′ X 6′ raised beds, and a greenhouse.
- Plots range in price from $10 to $40 depending on the size
- All applicants must pay an additional $15 deposit that will be refunded at the end of the season as long as the plot is properly maintained
- Plot fees can be waived based on income eligibility
- The garden season lasts May-October
- Water hook ups are available near each plot (all plot owners are responsible for watering their own plot)
- All skill levels are welcome
- Workshops and social events are held throughout the summer to help gardeners along the way
- All gardeners can sign up to have a garden mentor who will help them throughout the growing season
For more information, like us on Facebook
Applications for the 2016 growing season are now open!
How to Apply
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Currently, only paper applications are being accepted. To receive an application, visit the Parks and Recreation Office (390 N 23rd St.), email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit this website on or follow the download link above.
- Payments can only be made in the forms of a check or cash at this time.
Please reach out to our VISTA member, Chris Keeve, with any questions or concerns:
Phone: (406) 657-8308
- Green Thumb Camp : More information to come soon
- Playhouse and Adventure Camps: These camps run through the recreation division will be at the garden site throughout the growing season.
- Garden Workshops: Free for everyone. Sign up through email@example.com or by calling (406) 657-8308.Topics and dates with be released in the spring of 2016.
- Nutrition Workshops: Free for everyone. Topics and dates will be determined at a later date.
- Parade of Gardens: Free event for all! Take a tour of different community gardens in Billings and learn what services they offer. There is also a chance to win a prize by entering your name in the raffle.
- Scarecrow Fun 5K and 1 Mile Walk/Run: A family-friendly event to run at Riverfront Park, as well as raise money for the community garden. More information will be available in the spring of 2016.
- Volunteer for events
- Help with garden maintenance
- Teach a class
- Become a garden mentor
For more information about volunteering, applying for a garden plot, or donating to the garden, please call 657-8308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org