The Billings Parks and Recreation Department is working on the first public Community Garden Project at Amend Park. The Department recognizes the need for community gardens in Billings and that they are an essential part of the community.The garden will be providing education and access to fresh,affordable, healthy, local food.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AmendParkCommunityGarden
About the Garden
- Located on the northeast corner of Amend Park off of S Billings Blvd
- One acre in size, with various plot sizes available: 10′ X 10′ or 20′ X 20′
- Open May-October
- Water hook ups will be available near each plot (all plot owners are responsible for watering their own plot).
- All skill levels are welcomed
- Educational courses will be held throughout the summer to help gardeners along the way
- All gardeners will be able to sign up to have a garden mentor who will help them throughout the growing season.
- Green Thumb Camp : Ages 5-7 from 8:30-10 and Ages 8-10 from 10:30-12:30. For more information visit http://www.billingsparks.org/program/green-thumb-camp-childrens-community-gardening/
- Playhouse and Adventure Camps: These camps through the recreation side of the department will be at the garden site throughout the growing season.
- Garden Educational Workshops: Free for plot owners, $10 for community members. Topics include Planting, May 17th, Common Problems, June 28th, Preserving, September 13th.
- Nutrition Workshops: Free for plot owners, $10 for community members. Topics include Eating the Colors of the Rainbow on July 26th and Sharing Healthy Recipes on August 16th.
- Parade of Gardens: Free event for all! Take a tour of different community gardens in Billings and learn what services they offer. There is also a chance to win a prize by entering your name in the raffle.
- Scarecrow Fun 5K and 1 Mile Walk/Run: Look back next fall for more information on how to get involved!
How to Apply
Application Period Starts March 1st- We are not accepting applications at this time.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Register through RecTrac- Activity Number will be available when the application period opens around March 1st
- Volunteer for the fall fundraiser
- Help construct the garden
- Help with garden maintenance
- Teach a class
- Become a mentor
For more information about volunteering, applying for a garden plot, or donating to the garden please contact Liz Prather at email@example.com or Elizabeth Schlobohm at firstname.lastname@example.org.