The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
- Recommended Trees for Billings
- Recommended Boulevard Trees
- Boulevard Tree Planting Application
- How to plant a tree from the Arbor Day Foundation
- Remember to always call Montana 811 before you Dig
Planting Guidelines for Boulevards Tree and Shrubs
All vegetation should be 30’ away from intersections to provide line of sight for vehicles and pedestrians
Trees should be planted in accordance with minimum distance between trees, small trees 20ft, medium 30ft and large trees 40ft from the closest tree.
Trees should be planted a minimum of 10’ from fire hydrants, street signs, and street lights.
Trees should be planted a minimum of 5’ away from driveways or other concrete structures.
Trees should be set back at least 18” from curb and sidewalk to avoid obstructing pedestrians and car doors as the tree matures.
Shrubs shall be of a species that does not grow above 3’ in height at maturity to maintain good lines of sights for vehicles and pedestrians.
Only small growing species may be planted under overhead lines.
- Avoid planting trees to deep. The trees first major root should be at ground level. Often time’s trees come too deep from the nursery and require having soil removed from the top of the root ball to reach the proper planting depth.
- Keep sod away from the trees stem. The use of mulch is highly advised. Place 2-3 inches deep, out to the drip line of the tree.
- Watering trees require different watering requirements than turf. Trees should be watered before and after planting. Deep root watering should be done until the tree is established approximately every 7-10 days.
- Do not fertilize in first year of planting.
- Call 811 for underground utilities prior to any digging.