MT State Bicycle Laws
Montana State Bicycle Laws & Regulations
- In Montana, bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as motorists. Please ride safely, be courteous to other roadway users, and abide by all Montana traffic laws. Bicyclists are to ride upon a street single file except on paths or parts of streets set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
- Bicyclist shall not carry any article which prevents the driver from keeping one hand upon the handle bars.
- Every bicycle when in use at night shall be equipped with a strong white headlight which emits light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front.
- Every Bicycle in use at night shall be equipped with a colorless front-facing reflector, colorless or amber pedal reflectors and a red rear-facing reflector. A red taillight may be used in addition to rear-facing reflectors.
- Every bicycle when in use at night shall be equipped with either tires with retro reflective sidewalls or reflectors (as approved by the Montana Department of Transportation) mounted on the spokes of each wheel.